Six short plays will be performed in a single evening at the next Funny Shorts Live! event, presented by the Centers for the Arts Bonita Springs, at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 10 at the Performing Arts Center, Moe Auditorium & Film Center.
The plays were selected from previous entries in the International Stage It! Ten-Minute Play Festival.
During this amusing evening, we find GI Joe and Ken in a love triangle with Barbie, a post-wedding romantic comedy, Shakespeare revisited, film noir, and a cat fight over deck chairs. Playwrights hail from New York, Indiana, Texas and New Zealand with local actors taking on the variety of roles and styles.
“Our Performing Arts Center has become a haven for playwrights to get their work on stage… due to the ongoing success of our short play festival, we have purposefully carved out more opportunities for playwrights, including this event which centers on funny—no matter the style.” —Frank Blocker, CFABS Theatre/Film Director
Local actors involved include Giselle Cairney, Tina Cedras, Leeanne Chiaramonte, Jennifer Driggers, Mia Figueroa, Jodie Fox, Joanne Fritz, Keith Gahagan, Sergio Heliodoro, Melissa Hennig, Mickey Lacroix and Angie Ruiz.
Each play requires different directors, which will include Frank Blocker, Judith Devine, Gary Obeldobel and Toni Palumbo.
ON THE PROGRAM:
- A Midsummer Night’s Script, by Jennifer O’Grady of Pelham, New York
• Always a Bridesmaid, by Stephanie Bok of Brooklyn, New York
• Don’t Toy with Me, by Andrew Lyman Black of Columbia, Missouri
• The Blue Moon Café, by Joe Carlisle of Croton-on-Hudson, New York
• The Last Deck Chair in the Resort, by Lindsey Brown of Auckland, New Zealand
• Very Private Detective, by Carl L. Williams of Houston, Texas
There will be one intermission, a cash bar and ample parking all around the Center.
For tickets and info, call 239-495-8989 or visit www.artcenterbonita.org.